Monday 30 September 2013

Hi all. Welcome to Chatsworth outdoor learning page. On this page I will be keeping you up to date with all out outdoor learning projects and asking you about what you are getting up to and spotting out and about.

In outdoor learning this week we are following in the footsteps of Charles Darwin and investigating the living world around us.  We are finding and identifying mini beasts.  We were surprised to find four big insect larvae under a log in the woodland walk.  We were not sure what it was so sent it to a friend at Kew Gardens for advice.  We think it may be a stag beetle larvae.  What do you think?  Have you made any discoveries lately?

8 comments:

  1. Hi Miss Joseph! i cant wait for the next outdoor learning. But i missed the shelter when last week because i was in France. But the class have been telling me about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Abeer. I hope you had lovely time in France. We did have a great time building shelters outside, using different tools. It was a bit wet on the second day with year 5 but they worked together and soon built some exciting structures to keep them nice and dry. One of the shelters is still standing on the field. After half term Miss Shields is hoping to take small groups of year 5's for outdoor learning on Friday afternoons so you should get a chance before Christmas hopefully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OutdoorLearing is very fun and im glad we have outdoor learing.

      Delete
    2. Outdoor learning is a great lesson at school. I'm very lucky that I was here to do those cool shelters. Outdoor learning is my favourite subject!

      Delete
  3. I have just had a quick search online and I think you may be right Miss Joseph! They live underground for 3-7 years while in their larval state before turning or metamorphosing into an adult - wow! Apparently, they are also endangered so we will all have to look out for them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow this blog is so interesting I never would have guessed that, I agree Miss Croash! I'm so glad you checked that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its a great idea making this blog for every one to join in with new ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like outdoor learning because we do lots of fun things
    like making flower beds,planning how to make the
    garden more beautiful and investigate things
    like finding more creatures.

    ReplyDelete